Introduction: The Seven Last Words of Jesus
February 7, 2018
By Sister Karen Dunville
Jesus, Word of God, gave us words of wisdom filled with hope and spoken from his heart. His words provide the truth about the meaning of life, which is love. The often-quoted words of Jesus call us to pray and to act with love.
Lent is a season to go deeper into our minds and hearts to draw us closer to the realization of God’s presence in our lives. Jesus’ final words, spoken to us as his human life was ending, help us better understand God’s love for us. His last words show us human pain and suffering, and they promise that God’s love is the source of life.
Throughout this Lenten season, our Sisters of Mercy blog will feature weekly reflections posted each Wednesday on the seven last words of Jesus:
- Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.
- Today you will be with me in paradise.
- Woman, behold your son. Son, behold your mother.
- My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
- I thirst.
- It is finished.
- Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.
May each of us find inspiration to love God and to love others as we reflect on Jesus’ last words.