June 30, 2014
By Br. Joseph Martin Hagan, O.P.
Note: This blog is shared with permission from “Dominicana”, a blog run by the Dominican Studium of the Providence of St. Joseph. Read the original blog here.
Last Sunday marked the 190th anniversary of a small act with great consequences. On June 22, 1824, an Irish woman named Catherine McAuley used her recently received inheritance to lease a plot of land in Dublin. With this land, Catherine and her co-workers constructed a house where they would care for poor servant girls and homeless women. After three years of construction, Catherine opened what she called a “House of Mercy” on September 24, 1827, the Feast of Our Lady of Mercy. In 1831, Catherine and two co-workers professed religious vows and founded the Sisters of Mercy. During her lifetime, Catherine worked tirelessly to expand the Sisters of Mercy, and within a few decades, the Sisters spread worldwide, serving the world’s poor and destitute. Read More