Under general supervision, performs, coordinates and oversees technical and administrative duties in support of the accounting department for Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, Inc. (SMA, Inc). Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable support functions include but not limited to data entry into accounting systems, record keeping and accurate processing of vendor invoices, cash receipts and other business-related documents. Provides general office support to the accounting team to complete assigned projects or tasks. Responsibilities require the exercise of independent judgment, the ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion, knowledge of the specific area of assignment and mission of the Sisters of Mercy.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sustained and inspired by their relationship with God and one another, the mission of the Sisters of Mercy is to respond with vision and compassion to the needs of people who are poor, sick, and uneducated. This mission serves as a motivational force in the day-to-day activities of the employees of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas and as we extend compassion and mercy to others, practice and encourage social justice, and strive to live mercifully.
- Two-year degree in a suitable major, including business, finance, business administration or other appropriate course of study, or suitable experience in lieu of a formal degree.
- 2-5 years of accounting office support experience preferably a non-profit organization.
- Demonstrates personal integrity and a commitment to ethical principles, confidentiality and Sisters of Mercy policies and procedures.
- Possesses the initiative to get work done without waiting to be told what to do and demonstrates the ability to work independently of others.
- Demonstrates the ability to work as a member of a team that utilizes a collaborative style of decision‑making.
- Demonstrates the ability to achieve results for the organization with and through other people utilizing creative and innovative solutions to achieve results.
- Demonstrates the ability to create and work with evolving systems and structures and possesses the flexibility to adapt to changing environments.
- Recognizes, values and embraces individual differences, fostering a genuine commitment to understanding, accepting and learning from others.
- Possesses excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of computer systems, printers, copiers and other office equipment normally used in the function. Knowledgeable and able to use software applications associated with this position, including self-education in Blackbaud Financial Edge.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs a wide variety of accounts payable and cash receipts duties as required by daily operations.
- Coordinates within the accounts payable, module the accuracy and appropriateness of all payment requests, processes checks and prepares for mailing to vendors and other parties, and related filing.
- Makes remote deposits and records payments in cash receipts.
- Corresponds with members, associates, employees, vendors and other parties regarding billings, payments, and service orders.
- Assists Sister Life Ministers, members and managers with accounting issues and trouble shoots as needed.
- Prepares correspondence, reports and reconciliations or other communications as directed.
- Identifies and manages daily problems efficiently, and effectively, offering solutions while seeking advice when appropriate.
- Performs any other appropriate tasks as assigned to include all former duties not yet transferred to new staff as part of the overall restructuring and transition period of the Sisters of Mercy newly formed entities.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Manager requiring essentially the same skills, education and efforts as documented in this position.
- Participates, as appropriate, in personal professional development activities to maintain up to date knowledge of the requirements of the position.
If you are interested in applying for your position please submit your resume to email@example.com.