Under the direction of the accounting manager, oversees the assigned accounting clerk staff and their related duties for Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, Inc. (SMA, Inc). Effectively perform a variety of professional and technical accounting functions; coordinate and maintain accuracy of general revenue and expenditure ledgers and financial systems; ensure system transactions are recorded according to Sisters of Mercy system requirements and procedures. Responsibilities require the exercise of independent judgment, the ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion, knowledge of the specific area of assignment, overall Sister of Mercy activities and mission of the Sisters of Mercy.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- At least 5 years’ related experience preferably non-profit organization.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to establish priorities.
- Ability to cultivate effective working relationships with a broad range of employees and external contacts.
- Capable of displaying strong self-motivation and sound decision-making ability.
- Solid computer skills with proficiency of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Demonstrates personal integrity and a commitment to ethical principles, confidentiality and Sisters of Mercy policies and procedures.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate finance operations and procedures, formulating policy and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex financial data and prepare reports, statements and/or projections.
- Knowledge of pertinent Federal, State and local codes, laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of accounting and auditing including general ledger, debit, credit and journal entry procedures.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently handle multiple, simultaneous and complex tasks and projects.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of computer systems, printers, copiers and other office equipment normally used in the function.
- Knowledgeable and able to use software applications associated with this position, including self-education in Blackbaud Financial Edge.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains accuracy of general, revenue and expenditure ledgers as assigned; ensures system transactions are recorded according to Sisters of Mercy requirements and procedures.
- Responsible for various monthly and periodic journal entries.
- Reconciles various financial schedules with the general ledger and makes adjustments as necessary.
- Creates new financial schedules as appropriate to support general ledger activity.
- Assists with recording payments for accounts receivable and cash receipts.
- Assists with the maintaining of accounts receivable and cash receipts filing system.
- Assists with the correspondence with individual members, ministries, employers and clients regarding receipt/payment issues.
- Maintains the fixed asset records and accounting including the acquisitions and disposals.
- Assists in preparation with month-end close and the Sisters of Mercy annual audit including required financial reports, schedules, notes and tables.
- Provides support/back-up to Accounting Clerk when required.
- Proficient in the use of computer systems, printers, copiers, and other office equipment normally used in the function.
- Knowledgeable and able to use software applications associated with this position, including Microsoft Office.
- Prepares correspondence, reports, reconciliations and any other communications as directed.
- Maintains and updates assigned databases to assure accurate and timely information.
- Identifies and manages daily problems efficiently, and effectively, offering solutions while seeking advice when appropriate.
- Performs any other appropriate tasks as assigned by management.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Sisters of Mercy organizational policies and applicable laws. Ensures that the mission and philosophy of the Sisters of Mercy are properly integrated
- In conjunction with management and human resource support when needed, responsible for planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Manager requiring essentially the same skills, education and efforts as documented in this position.
- Participates, as appropriate, in personal professional development activities to maintain up-to-date knowledge of the requirements of the position.
- May be required to work extended hours including evenings and weekends.
- May be required to travel to attend meetings.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, October 21, 2021.