Community Coordinator, Mercy Volunteer Corps
Gwynedd Valley, Pennsylvania
In partnership with the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, members of Mercy Volunteer Corps enter into relationships with people who are economically poor and marginalized. In a spirit of mutuality, volunteers cultivate mercy and justice in the world by embracing compassionate service, social justice, spirituality and a simple lifestyle in community.
Overview: Mercy Volunteer Corps (MVC) promotes social change by placing and supporting volunteers for one year of service with people who are economically poor or marginalized in the US and South America. Mercy Volunteers work in education, healthcare, and social services while living together in a community and growing spiritually.
This position is highly collaborative and requires travel and flexible working hours at times. The community coordinator works with a team to recruit, select, place and support volunteers for this national and international volunteer program. The community coordinator supports and challenges full-time volunteers living in communities and serving with people who are economically poor and marginalized in society.
- Bachelor or higher degree
- Competent in technology and project management
- At least one year of post-graduate service experience and/or experience in social activism, pastoral ministry, counseling, spiritual growth development, community building, retreat planning and working with diverse people
- High level of organizational skills with a flexible attitude
- Self-motivated, able to work independently, and also able to collaborate with a team performing similar job functions throughout the country
General Responsibilities (included, but are not limited to)
- Develop relationships with the Mercy and wider community, with non-profits for service site development, and with colleges and universities for recruitment of volunteers
- Represent MVC and/or coordinate representation at service fairs, colleges and other venues
- Manage volunteers in 3 community locations (e.g., oversee the orientation and progress of the volunteer community, conduct annual site visit, coordinate housing and transportation, schedule local retreats, etc.)
- Create and support a local team comprised of MVC alumni and the Mercy community who assist with volunteer support and logistics
- Assist with the coordination of the interview and selection process for Mercy Volunteers
- Assist with the coordination of Mercy Volunteer Transition and Orientation retreats
- Complete other tasks as assigned
The incumbent would report to the Program Director at Mercy Volunteer Corps. This position is salaried, full-time with health insurance benefits offered, along with a 403(b) retirement plan and employer match. The incumbent should be located in Mountain or Pacific Time Zones and must be able to work efficiently from home.
MVC seeks to nurture and is committed to building a community in which the human dignity of every member is preserved and celebrated. We strive to maintain an environment in which each member has an opportunity to contribute to the vitality of the whole, where contributions are valued, as is each individual.
Submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Katie Frederick by email. Please do not contact us for status; we will update you as appropriate.
Deadline for Submission
Apr 12, 2021