Sister Mary Dorothy Calhoun was a Sister of Mercy for 70 years. She entered the Sisters of Mercy in 1952, spending her formative years at Mother of Mercy Convent in Webster Groves, Missouri. She graduated from St. John’s Hospital School of Nursing in 1958. She received her Bachelor of Science in nursing from St. Louis (MO) University in 1960. Sister Dorothy received her master’s in hospital administration at St. Louis University in 1968. She earned her certification in clinical pastoral education at Baptist Hospital in New Orleans in 1990.
Sister Dorothy dedicated her life to nursing, administration, and pastoral ministry. She served as nursing supervisor of obstetrics, delivery, nursery, Operating Room and Emergency Room and as director of nursing services at numerous Mercy hospitals and medical centers. Her final years were spent as a volunteer at Mercy Hospital in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and living in St. Louis at Catherine’s Residence where she spent time in prayer and other works of Mercy.