Sister Georgine Scarpino was a Sister of Mercy for 67 years. Sister Georgine entered the Sisters of Mercy from St. Thomas Moore Parish Bethel Park, Pennsylvania, in 1955 and made final vows in 1961.
Sister Georgine earned her Bachelor of Science from Carlow College (now Carlow University), a Master of Science from Notre Dame, and a Ph.D. in Public Administration from the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public and International Affairs (GSPIA). She taught in Catholic schools throughout the Pittsburgh Diocese, including Canevin High School and Our Lady of Mercy Academy. She served as principal at St. Elizabeth of Hungary School in Pleasant Hills and St. Paul Cathedral High School. Later, Georgine taught at the University of Pittsburgh GSPIA for many years and lectured in several countries.
Sister Georgine also worked for the City of Pittsburgh in the Department of Personnel and Civil Service Commission, Employment and Training Grants Administration. She was elected president of the Sisters of Mercy, Pittsburgh Regional Community, from 1996-2004. While serving in this capacity, she was very involved in many outreach activities, particularly those involving the Hill District and around Mercy Hospital. Within the Institute of the Sisters of Mercy, Sister Georgine served on numerous committees and advisory groups. In 2010, she launched the Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Program in Pittsburgh as a monthly support group where grandparents could share their needs. Additionally, Sister Georgine served on various boards of trustees.
Georgine was passionate about justice, racism, and inclusion. A hard worker, she credited her sense of humor for carrying her through tough times.