Sister Jane attended Saint Rose of Lima School and became acquainted with the Sisters of Mercy at Cathedral High School in Trenton, New Jersey. Attracted to religious life, Sister Jane entered the Sisters of Mercy on September 8, 1957, and took the name Sister Mary John Regis at her reception the following year.
She began her studies for a degree in elementary education at Georgian Court College (now University). Her first assignment took her to Saint Mary School, Bordentown. A naturally gifted primary teacher, she continued in that role for seven schools in the Trenton and Metuchen dioceses for the next 48 years. Her ministry took her to Saint James School in Red Bank, Saint Mary School in Alpha, Saint Charles Borromeo School in Cinnaminson, Saint Paul School in Princeton, Our Lady of Victories School in Sayreville and Saint Matthew School in Edison.
Sister Jane marveled at the privilege it was to be a teacher of young children, both in the classroom and in the CCD sacramental programs. Her ministry was not limited to encounters with children, however. As an active member of the parishes where she served, Sister Jane sang in the church choir, shared in the joys and sorrows of the parishioners and was always ready with a kind word, a welcoming smile or a promise of prayer.
In 2007, Sister Jane was asked by the Leadership Team to assume a new role as a life and ministry facilitator. It was an opportunity to share her gifts with the members of her community as she accompanied sisters through changes and new experiences in their lives. She accepted the role graciously, as she always did, and served the sisters well.
In 2018, Sister Jane retired to McAuley Hall Health Care Center in Watchung, where she resided until her death.