Sister Mary Agnita Brown was a Sister of Mercy for 64 years. Sister Mary entered the Mercy Community in 1957 and went on to earn degrees at Sancta Maria Junior College (Trocaire College) and Mt. St. Joseph College (Medaille) in Buffalo, New York. Her teaching ministry, which began in South Buffalo, New York, included St. Martin’s, St. John the Evangelist, St. John Vianney, St. William’s and St. Teresa’s. She also taught at Our Lady of the Rosary in Niagara Falls, Holy Family in LeRoy, Immaculate Conception in Wellsville, and SS. Peter & Paul in Jamestown.
In the 1970’s, she expanded her “professional horizons.” She worked in the business office at Mercy Hospital for ten years and then assigned as assistant to the treasurer at Trocaire College. In the 1990’s she served as a member of the support staff at the Diocesan Marriage Tribunal. Following her retirement, she continued to minister as a volunteer in the Sisters of Mercy Mission Advancement Office.
Sister Mary was always readily available wherever there was a need. Her kindness and generosity knew no bounds. She would often advise anyone seeking direction in life to “Pray without ceasing and ask God to show you the way.”