The Sisters of Mercy of the Americas publicly commit to join the worldwide Catholic community in responding to Pope Francis’ appeal to participate in a seven-year journey toward sustainability and integral ecology by developing a Laudato Si’ Action Platform.
This commitment marks our willingness as an Institute:
- To take up the “urgent appeal” of Laudato Si’ to listen and respond to the cry of the Earth and the cry of the poor by making it a community priority;
- To further our ongoing ecological conversion by fostering a greater understanding of our socio-ecological vocation within the spirit of our charism;
- To integrate each of the seven Laudato Si’ goals into our life and works by developing a systematic process to transition to an integral ecology;
- To take bold concrete actions in the spirit of Laudato Si’ to address the multiple crises afflicting our common home – the planet and its people.
- To practice nonviolence, as we reconcile and heal the pain in creation and sow hope for peace.
This commitment is made in faith, hope, and love, knowing that we are participating in God’s work of transformation, “for we know that things can change” (LS 13).
Signed by General Superior/Major Superior/Community Superior: Sister Patricia McDermott, RSM, President of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas
Date: December 20, 2021